An excellent alternative to using gas or oil to heat your home is the installation of rooftop solar panels. Solar panels are easily updated unlike the other options of hydropower or wind power. If you are thinking about installing rooftop solar panels on your home, there are both pros and cons to this decision you should consider.
The first step in deciding to go with solar panels for your energy alternative is to make sure your roof is ready.
Is Your Roof Ready for Solar Panels?
Whether you’ve decided to buy or lease solar panels and have begun looking into the different solar panel providers, before you begin the work, make sure your roof is ready. The installers of the panels will only be working with the surface of your roof, so you should have Prime Time Roofing check to make sure your roof is in good shape before the installation before you cause serious roof damage to your home.
Installation can cause roof damage if there are any weak areas. PrimeTime Roofing can check for these conditions and advise if your roof is appropriate for solar panels:
- Pooling water
- Loose tiles, shingles, or flashing
During this check on your roof’s condition, PrimeTime Roofing can also remove excess debris and clean your gutters, so your home is ready for any weather after the installation of your solar panels.
Once PrimeTime Roofing has inspected your roof and determined it is appropriate and capable of supporting solar panels, it is time to look at the pros and cons of this decision.
Pros of Rooftop Solar Panels
There are a lot of benefits to solar power. Before making this decision, you should review the pros and cons of using this form of energy. These are some of the pros:
- Increases the value of your home- Solar panels have become an increasingly desirable factor in the real estate markets. Research has shown that having solar panels on your house can increase its value by as much as 4% in the United States. This increase could boost your home’s value by as much as $10,000.
- Decrease in energy costs- Over time, solar power will save you money. After the installation of the panels, the only cost you will encounter is the maintenance required for the panels.
- Decrease your carbon footprint- One of the most significant benefits to solar power is an environmental benefit. Other forms of energy, such as gas and oil pollute your environment with methane and carbon dioxide, however, solar panels will greatly reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
Cons of Rooftop Solar Panels
Just as there are many benefits to installing rooftop solar panels, there are also a few drawbacks such as:
- Panels are not portable- Once you’ve installed rooftop solar panels, they are staying there. If you decide to move, they become a benefit to the buyer of your home, as you cannot take them with you. To some homeowners, it is a frustrating factor to leave behind a system they’ve invested so much into.
- Panels are dependent on weather- Over time, solar energy has become more reliable, however, it is still dependent on the weather and the time of day. These systems are less efficient during nighttime hours and in cloudy weather. Being able to store some of your energy will offset this con.
- Technology changes quickly- The technology surrounding solar power is continuously changing. They are now able to make panels smaller and more efficient. They have also increased the amount of power you can store. This technology is great, however, it can mean that the system you purchase today will soon become outdated.
These are some of the pros and cons of installing rooftop solar panels. You will have to weigh these in order to determine if it will make sense for your home and lifestyle.
What Happens if Solar Panels Cause Roof Damage?
PrimeTime Roofing is a licensed, trusted, and established roofing company in Douglas County, Colorado. We offer multiple roofing services, including the repair of solar panel damages to your roof. If you have experienced any problems with your home’s roof, contact one of our experienced, skilled roofing experts to inspect your damages.